That’s a good point — I’d say there’s just a risk of creating a perception
issue. First, some users might feel that this means they have to migrate now,
which is before Python itself drops support; they might also be surprised that
we did this in a minor release (e.g. might we drop Python 2 altogether in a
Spark 2.5 if that later comes out?). Second, contributors might feel that this
means new features no longer have to work with Python 2, which would be
confusing. Maybe it’s OK on both fronts, but it just seems scarier for users to
do this now if we do plan to have Spark 3.0 in the next 6 months anyway.

Matei