Yeah, but some of these options might break compatibility.

Imagine an exported function that takes an rvalue reference parameter.
The library would be configured without rvalue references, but then the
user 'enables' c++0x support by compiling with -std=gnu++0x. Now they
might get a link error, right?

Travis