Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms> writes:

> What is the latest policy in what regards trivial fixes, e.g., the
> volatile qualifier for the max var in LIMITS.cpp we discussed earlier,
> etc.? It seems excessive to create a bug report for such issues.

My advice based on some observations with other projects, is that in
these cases we go just go on and apply fix. Non invasive code quality
improvements over the codebase should be promoted not hindered. More
risky patches, should be discussed on the list, the ones that needs
either serious changes, attention, re-factoring, feature or fixes that
may break something should be logged in Jira.

So I vote for keeping the changes as lightweight as possible, and avoid
extra bureaucracy if it makes sense. This assumption is based that
developers here trust their selves, and run the tests often. I'm not
subscribed to the commit list here, but if I do - I usually follow
people's changes and assume that developers do read commit lists.

So the general consensus from my experience with other project was: not
sure - ask.

That's my experience, also I don't have full rights to express my
opinion right now about stdcxx.

> Also, IIUC from reading previous discussions, forward and backward
> binary compatible changes go in 4.2.x, followed by merges to 4.3.x and
> trunk. Am I getting this right?

Every project has certain branch strategy, I'm not sure about this so
maybe Martin can advice. I prefer to develop on trunk and cherry pick
to the other branches avoiding bulk merges (and that's in both
directions).

--
Wojciech Meyer
http://danmey.org