From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 1:03 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: RE: Struts Web Services Enablement Project

> From: Hookom, Jacob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> If you want to do Web Services, have the services talk to
> your business providers, the same ones your actions would talk to.

In a perfect world, sure. :)  But that means yet another webapp (Axis,
for example,) to learn and keep up with.  Last time I tried to use Axis,
it was not a trivial project.

My webapps happen to be "correctly" designed with a separate data access
layer and no business logic in the Actions.  And I'm definitely
interested in exposing some Actions via web services.  Maybe they
wouldn't be exactly the same Actions that are serving the browser view.
But this would let me keep everything in one place.  I don't expect it
to be as powerful as what I could do with Axis, but if I can solve some
problems within a webapp that's already up and running, without adding
yet another "project" to my list, that would be great.

I don't see how wanting to exposing an Action via web services implies
that the Action contains business logic.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.