I'd suggest sticking to your original vision, Frank, and first do the "simplest thing
that can possibly work".

Try it for 1.2.x as well as for the Struts-Chain request processor that is slated for
1.3.x, to be sure the approach will be forwardly compatible, and get it out there
where people can try it. It will probably be more useful with the Strut-Chain RP,
since there will be conflicts with the other custom RPs that are popping up.

If what you start works, and other people use it, then, sure, it could become the
kernel of a Struts Web Services subproject. That's how Tiles, Validator, declarative
exception handling, and declarative security all started.

But, first things first, build something that suits the needs of your own application,
and then we can see what patches people offer up.

-Ted.