On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:52:49 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Argh, posted to the wrong list!
>
> Well, in all honesty, this isn't something that was initiated by me,
> I've never had a thought of passing objects back and forth, so I'm not
> sure I can give you a real, concrete use case that would explain it.  I
> certainly hear what your saying about XML.  I myself have done that very
> thing in place of something like this.
>
> I think the point that makes this interesting is the idea of objects
> end-to-end.  Think of it almost like RMI between a browser-based client
> and a Java-based back-end.  As in RMI, an object gets "flattened" into
> some data representation, transmitted and reconstituted on the receiving
> end.  But on both sides of the conversation you have an object.
>
> If what your asking is why not just pass XML representing the data
> instead of a representation of an object, then I'd say because then you
> have to know about some intermediary interpretation of an object, namely
> XML.  It would kind of be like saying that instead of using RMI, why not
> just serialize an object's data as XML and transmit that, then parse it
> on the other end... Certainly that's done every day, but RMI is I think
> more elegant in that your always dealing in objects, and conversion for
> the sake of transport is done transparently.

That is not necessarily true.  If you use XML-RPC, specifically one of
the several client-side Javascript libraries for XML-RPC, your
application, both on the client and server side, never have to touch
XML.  The XML-RPC library automatically handles
serialization/deserialization as does the server side XML-RPC library
(Apache has a great one for this).  I use XML-RPC in several
applications for the specific reason that I never have to deal with
XML, yet I get rich communication between my web application and
server.

Don