Craig,

I am thinking of doing a wrapper, e.g. PointComposite, which will then
not have to be updated, because it will only adapt the signatures of
the interface Point (not implement Point) but that the actual object
doing the work will be a PointImpl which will soley be a weak
reference and available only and updated internally as a Point object
through the PointHotFactory static methods.  This would mean that
there would be no strong reference to a Point class external to the
PointComposite objects.  Does this make sense to you?  The class of
the internal Point object, i.e. inside the PointComposite would be
updated via a callback with a weak referenced listener.  This may all
be way too complex.  If so, then I can abandon it, but I think it
deserves a look.  I think maybe it could be made simple.

Jack

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:10:58 -0800, Dakota Jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, Craig,
>
> I am going to have to look into this more, then.  Interesting stuff in
> any event.
>
> Jack
>

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:07:28 -0800, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:56:31 -0800, Dakota Jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Essentially, I am trying to keep a WeakReference to
> > > Point classes so that when I update the Point.class I can change the
> > > classes for all the PointImpl objects out there.
> >
> > My understanding of Java (extensive in many areas, but not necessarily
> > comprehensive here) is that this kind of replacement is *not* possible
> > at all.  At best, you can create new instances of the new class and
> > then transfer the state information -- but that still doesn't clean up
> > references that other objects will have to the old instance.
> >
> > > Jack
> >
> > Craig
> >

> --
>

> "You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep."
>
> ~Native Proverb~
>
> "Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows."
>
> ~Hunkesni (Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Sioux~

~Native Proverb~