On 4/15/06, James Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but who wants to talk about
> @author tags?
>
> I remember that I wasn't too happy when we removed them years ago,
> but I didn't say anything.  Over time though, I totally get the
> legality of why it has to be done.
>
> Your thoughts?

The topic of author tags has been discussed in literally hundreds of
ASF posts on various mailing lists. In the end, the ASF board
determined that removing the tags is a "best practice", but it is not
a requirement.

As to why, Greg Stein sums it up well here:

* http://tinyurl.com/mw7t6

It's been the policy of the Apache Struts project that we don't use
author tags, for the reasons that Greg outines, and when people have
included author tags in patches, we've asked that the tags be removed
before accepting the patch.