Craig McClanahan wrote:
However, I would be unhappy with
all of us other committers if we stopped testing 1.3.4 at all, until
1.3.5became available, and we surface yet another two line change next
week.
This is exactly why I think this release process, or least least the Struts PMC implementation of it, is broken. A few Struts committers work their butts off to push out a release, clearing all known issues and repeatedly asking for help but getting none. Then, once the release is out, people nitpick through it finding issues to shoot it down (and yes, a beta is as good as a killed release because it doesn't get out to the users in an public, accessible location). Ok, we go back, fix the issues, and roll another release, only to have the same process happen again and again.

Honestly, this is very discouraging and kills any momentum we get. Personally, I give up. I previously believed Struts moved so slowly because of a lack of effort, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't more profound. If, in six months with 100% dedicated committers willing to do whatever it takes and a codebase that is stable and proven, we can't push out a GA release, we have a serious problem.