The one case I wouldn't mind seeing an Ant build is in the source distribution. Many times, I'm downloading source distros, and have to make some change, but I'm on a network where I don't have connectivity to the outside world. If we could make a source distro that was completely self-contained, complete with an Ant build, I'd be fine with that.

Don

Eric Molitor wrote:
It realy comes down to managing the dependencies. I could forsee
someone building an ant build that ran against the compiled code and
dependencies. (Similar to Atlassians build system with JIRA.) However
I personally dont think its appropriate to be part of the project. (At
least not as a source level)

As someone whom fought to keep ant (and even managed to supply a few
patches to fix the unit tests and the build at the begining of SAF2)
my feeling is that managing ant, ivy, and maven just isn't worth the
effort. Any developer whom needs to patch the source is going to be
able to handle maven.

Just my .02.

Cheers,
  Eric

On 7/10/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Don Brown proposed:
> I'd like to remove the Ant build from Struts 2.  I don't think it has
> worked for a little while and the new Maven 2 layout
> discourages it for
> any complex builds.  Unless someone seriously wants to put the effort
> into keeping it up, I think it should be removed.

From the peanut gallery, I would like to see a minimal Ant build kept so
that users would be able to download the Struts 2 source, patch it for
their needs, and build a working jar file.  I think that Ant is much
more commonly used than Maven 2, that it's valuable for users to be able
to try small changes to suit their needs, and that requiring Maven 2
significantly raises the work required to do so.

Perhaps I am wrong, and either maintaining such a minimal Ant build is
prohibitively expensive or installing and learning Maven 2 is trivially
easy.

 - George