Obviously you picked up on my probing questions on the chat. :) Yes--we use JSP's with FTL templates for the tags. It only recently occurred to me that the caching would need to be different for the FTL tag templates vs. FTL results. I like this proposal--it would keep the user from having to worry about any of this. Thats a good thing. (And arguable this type of caching should have been in place already, IMO)

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I think a missing template cache would also be a good idea. (Phil and I discussed this) The idea is that right now there is a penalty for looking for a template, only to find that it doesn't exist and falling back to the parent theme template. Instead, if we find that a template is missing, we'd put that template name into a cache of all the missing template. Next time we look for that template, we'd check the missing template cache and find it in there and avoid the cost of looking for a template that doesn't exist.

These 2 things would completely eliminate the 3+ days I spent 'optimizing' our WW app--so I think it would be very worthwhile investment. (I'll gladly pitch in once we've wrapped up our performance testing)
Tom

Philip Luppens wrote:

I'd like to pick in on this one :-)

Basically, there are two sides: we have the 'internal' Freemarker
rendering for UI components, and we have the Freemarker result, which
both share the same caching/template loading/.. . Now, as Tom said,
the defaults are not so good (for the internal UI rendering). Not only
does Freemarker have a default delay of just 5 seconds, but it also
doesn't use its strong reference cache. [2]

We can choose to split up the configuration for internal (UI
components) and external (results) rendering, where we have a infinite
caching for the internal use, and freemarker.properties - adaptable
settings for external use, with better default settings when not in
development mode.

In my opinion, users should not have to worry about the internal
rendering when just using the framework, unless they set devMode on
(in which case constant reloading is allowed, and even required), so
we should set the default settings accordingly.

Thoughts ?

Phil

[1] https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1654
[2] http://fmpp.sourceforge.net/freemarker/pgui_config_templateloading.html