What kind of strange new world will it be without .action? I've grown so used to it I can't imagine not using it. So you're saying you would have the same url without the .action part?

Now that we have all these options for mapping url's to actions/parameters, is there a new recommended approach that developers should follow? Essentially you are getting rid of the old recommended webwork approach. Options are great, but if you can't make heads or tails of which way is 'recommended' I think it may lead to confusion. (Not to mention more issues when trying support less experienced developers) It would require updating all the docs/examples with the new approach.
Tom

Don Brown wrote:
A long time coming, it is now possible (and practical) to get rid of
extensions altogether, hence the subject, the death of the .action
extension.  With WW-2163 [1], Struts can make the distinction between
a setting that has Struts match all URL's, and one that only matches
URLs with no extension, and furthermore, extension and no extension
URLs can co-exist.

Accordingly, I changed the default 'struts.action.extension' setting
from 'action' to 'action,,'  This allows the <default-action-ref>
element in struts.xml to do what you would expect - let you define an
action to handle directory URLs such as
http://example.com/myapp/mynamespace/

In a future release, maybe 2.2, I'd like to get rid of the .action
extension altogether.  I think one of the key strengths of Struts 2 is
its closeness to the HTTP protocol, and therefore, I think it has
great potential to be a solid REST platform, an architectural style
that leverages the features of HTTP rather than fight them.

Here's to the death of the .action extension! :)

Don

[1] https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-2163