First of all, I think Ted did a good job of getting a start on this.
His proposal is a great start that would unify several misc things
that really needed to be unified.  (Especially for 2.1.x where it
would be nice to have a unified approach to these things)

Secondly, our company does the exact same thing that Brian's in that
we have standardized components and I would love to have an open
source standard to use.  However, is that part of what Ted created, or
is this a separate proposal?  I really like the idea of having one
place for xml configuration, whether it be struts config overrides,
JPA class definitions or what-not, but that seems like a separate
issue from what Ted is proposing.
Tom