I'm not a committer but I thought I'd provide some input as I use the REST
plugin.

>From a design, config & stability perspective it's great.  For html
results it's fine but for xml and json results the default configuration
is a little complex and may yield many support questions for new users.
Specifically, xstream is the default handler for XML results but it's not
setup with any aliases or converters so the xml is verbose.  Without a
simplified default config I expect you'll have to field basic questions
about customising xstream which won't be an enjoyable experience.

Similarly the default json result generates xstream's non-intuitive json
structure designed for de-serialization to java.  Again to reduce support
effort it would be better to provide a simpler default.  Switching over to
xstream's jettison driver as the default config is better, but in my case
I've configured it to use the S2 JSON Plugin for serialization and this
works a treat.

Depending on the plans for the JSON plugin, I'd recommend that the REST
plugin adds this as a dependency as the default JSON handler.
Alternatively the JSON Utils from the JSON plugin could be moved into
core.

While on that point though, plugging in new handlers has been very smooth.

Finally, there's still a fair amount of documentation to do.

Perhaps none of this matters though as the majority of users may only be
interested in html results.  In this basic case it is excellent.

I'll be using the REST plugin heavily over the coming months and will
contribute where I can.  Hope that helps.

regards,
 Jeromy Evans