I was working on a proof of concept for Unified EL: http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/unified-el-plugin.html

I had a basic value stack up and running, however, I never took it any farther than that. Richard Burton is planning on implemented an MVEL stack in the near future, but he's waiting on some changes from Chris Brock in MVEL itself.

I think in the long run, we really need a new tag library to fully take advantage of the unfied EL. Even if we do that though, standard unified EL is not as powerful as OGNL. We would need to extend the language or be limited when compared to what is possible with OGNL today. Maybe for some people that's not an issue, but I fear that would keep some people from switching.
Tom