Actually, we've done a little more work on the scope plugin since we took it out of the sandbox:
http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/scope-plugin.html
Originally we took most of our API from Seam, but I think we'll be diverging from Seam a bit since it will make things easier for s2 users.

My understanding is that Bob Lee is one of the leads on the web beans spec. So we might get JSR-299 support for free because we integrate with Guice. (At least that was my hope) That's why I haven't done much more with it. (That and a lot of the spec isn't applicable to an action based framework)
Tom

Ted Husted wrote:
If by "alternate implementation", you mean an implementation of JSR
299, that's something best discussed with the MyFaces group.
Evidentially, Shale is merging with MyFaces, making MyFaces our
one-stop JSF shop. :)

Meanwhile, Don's been working on a scope plugin in the sandbox that
mimic's Seam-style bijection. I'm not sure of the status, but you
might want to have a look at what he's done so far. '

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/struts/sandbox/trunk/struts2-scope-plugin/

Also in the Apache Struts sandbox is the JPA MailReader implementation
that Wes mentioned.

 * http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/struts/sandbox/trunk/jpa-mailreader/

I'll probably be heads-down on some Ajax stuff the rest of December,
but I hope to get back to this eventually.

-- HTH, Ted
 * <http://www.StrutsMentor.com/>