Well said, and I completely agree.  My original point is your point #1
just isn't possible with the current versioning scheme.  Because every
release gets its own patch number, regardless of quality or API
changes, it can't be counted on, and really, I don't see any solution
other than creating a big matrix of releases for users to somehow
navigate the sea of releases to understand which are compatible with
the other.

Don

<snip />