Yeah, I found that environment resolution was a key feature for any large application. At Orbitz we could deploy the same bundle to any server and the bundle would figure out where it was and configure itself for that environment. Worked really well.

I have also provided this type of feature in JCatapult using an API that can be implemented however developers need. The default implementation uses JNDI, but it is simple to change it. The nice thing about that is you can assume at all times that the environment is available and make assumptions around that.

-bp

On Jun 27, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

We d something similar as well, but we decided to use a simple env var in all environments... So the exact same EAR can deploy to any environment and the code within simply looks for that var and acts accordingly. Simple but highly effective.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Roughley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:59 PM
To: Struts Developers List <dev@struts.apache.org>
Subject: Re: environment awareness (project stage in JSF)

I've actually had to implement this type of feature in multiple
enterprise applications. However, I would say that it's not knowing the
environment, but being able to change configuration elements per
environment that is important (for what I did, and in rails I think this
is the most important elements).  i.e. change the SMTP, temp file dir,
admin user email address, etc. depending on whether you are testing
locally vs. production.

If developers are using spring, there is a way to load property files
with a hostname extension (which is one solution) - but should we always
expect users to be using Spring?  The other question is being able to
modify struts.property properties depending on env (i.e. devMode=true in
development and never in production).

/Ian