I've written code that uses environment. Of course, I mainly write frameworks, so it probably makes more sense there, but I have used environment to dictate code rules. Eager singletons versus on-demand singletons, class-reloading, etc. I think it breaks down to this question, "is there a convention that is based on environment where adding configuration would incur unnecessary overhead?"

Take class-reloading as an example. The answer to the question would be yes. The convention is that in development reload and in production don't. You could use a configuration parameter with a default value that says reload, but then the developer has to remember to add the configuration for production to turn it off. For me, it often comes down to being pragmatic about it while reducing configuration whenever possible. So, I think code still needs access to the environment.

In terms of configuration, it falls out into these rough areas:

- There are configuration that should be defined by environment deployment folks, like computer names, but managed by developers (since after-all we are going to be using that configuration). Those folks should understand where the configuration lives and possibly how to change it, but not without consulting developers who wrote the code that uses it.

- There are configuration that should only be managed by developers and still vary by environment, like cache sizes, thread pools, heuristics, etc. This shouldn't be touched by anyone else, but support staff can make recommendations and then developers can implement.

- There are configurations that shouldn't change by environment. Usually things like security configuration, kill-switches, etc. These are the same everywhere and you only change them if something goes wrong.

In all cases, the configuration should be changing per environment and not the code. So, back to the original statements, I think none of this is really about laziness. I think that's a poor wording. I think it is really more about application integrity and making the correct decisions that will ensure the application doesn't get into production and explode. However, the more ability to manage the better. I personally feel that all frameworks, tools, servers, etc, should be environment aware. Be nice to have web-development.xml and web- default.xml. Currently, there are just too many things that need to be wrapped, adapted and proxied because they don't understand environment.

-bp