I still think that the simplest approach is still to do nothing except for EL and let the view technology do it all (JSP, FTL, VM, etc.). The only time you need anything remotely similar to EL is for getting and setting values out of beans. This is generally not EL handling, but basic JavaBean handling. This topic has come up so many times and I still feel it is a major barrier to entry for Struts.

-bp