I was actually talking about expanding it out like Chris mentioned. I don't see
any reason why those who want to use the container that Struts is using
shouldn't be able to. Since the annotations and APIs will be standard across
Guice and Spring with the JSR, it seems like it would be possible to allow the
application and framework to use the same DI container, just different
Injectors.

The default could be Guice but allow Spring to be pluggable (or even
discoverable). As long as the internals of Struts are compliant, it should work
fine. This also provides the benefit of configuration reduction in web.xml and
a more comprehensive solution. It would also get Struts out of the business of
building objects and requiring additional configuration and plugins for
different DI containers. I would guess it would clean up the double
ObjectFactory issues as well.

-bp