On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com> wrote:
> Not to split hairs, Lukasz, but this is the "released" pom -
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/maven/tags/struts2-archetype-starter-2.1.8.1/pom.xml
>
> Which looks fine.
>
> When I was checking this, it reminded me of something I have been
> meaning to ask. If you look at the tag name that Lukasz used -
> "struts2-archetype-starter-2.1.8.1" But, somewhere in our docs, we use
> a tag name like this - "STRUTS2_ARCHETYPE_STARTER_2_1_8_1" which you
> can see here -
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts2/tags/
>
> The tag name that Lukasz used is what the release plugin defaults
> to... Is there a reason we don't use it? I'm all about sticking to
> defaults (since it tends to make the documentation easier), so I am
> wondering if there is a reason, other than "that's the way we always
> did it"

To my knowledge, "that's the way we always did it" is the correct
answer here, assuming the question is "upper case and underscores"
versus "lower case and dashes". As you can see here, the former has
been used since the very beginning of Struts, almost 10 years ago:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts1/tags/

Bear in mind that there's an enormous amount of Struts history prior
to us adopting Maven, let alone the Maven release plugin, so this is
hardly surprising. That the Maven default is different is simply the
result of the Maven team picking the wrong default release naming
scheme. :-p

If there's an easy way to tell the release plugin to use "upper case
and underscores" instead of "lower case and dashes", the continuity
would be nice, since there's no other good reason to change what we've
been doing for so long. If there isn't an easy way to do that, though,
and it's a nuisance to change the default for some reason, then I'm
not dead set against adopting the Maven way.

--
Martin Cooper