On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Lukasz Lenart
>> <lukasz.len...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's is in staging repo but I want to use Nexus for that and waiting
>>> for clarification. As I understood I can removed it from the repo and
>>> do it again. If not I will call for a Vote.
>>
>> You're fine, just sort out how to stage it in the new repo and then
>> call a vote to release the master pom. :)  This is good practice
>> learning to stage and promote a single artifact before you try it with
>> the whole thing.
>>
>> --
>> Wendy
>
> +1
>
> This was my motivation for moving to nexus... Martin, sometimes I
> think we all get the verb "release" confused.

That was basically my point. At the ASF, a release is a package made
available to the general public, and as such it can only be made after
a vote by the relevant PMC.

I understand that Maven uses the term 'release' to mean something
different, but that just means we need to qualify the term when we are
talking about a Maven procedure. When Lukasz said he had "made the
release", that, at the ASF, will normally be taken to mean an ASF
release, which requires a vote. Thus it was an incorrect statement.
For someone from another project, or the ASF board, who is not
familiar with Maven to drop in here and see that statement and see no
corresponding vote, well, that would be bad.

So when we mean the Maven thing that they happen to call a release,
let's just be explicit that we're talking about the Maven thing. And
if we use the term 'release' without qualification, let's use that to
refer only to what the ASF calls a release, with a corresponding vote.

--
Martin Cooper