On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org> wrote:
> That was my question, in a way, with the guy who wanted to donate a Chinese
> translation of the user guide. I thought the CLA was only necessary for
> someone gaining write access -- whether to SVN or the Wiki.

The CLA is not only for write access. In fact, it's not even really
related to write access. See the explanation here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

In this particular case, the first question seems to be whether or not
we believe the plugin needs to become part of the S2 core. The
contributor believes so, but I haven't seen any opinions from the
Struts developers one way or the other. If we don't believe it _needs_
to be part of the core, then we need do nothing, since it can stand
just as well on its own as a 3rd party plugin.

If we do believe it needs to be part of the core, then my preference
would be to have the contributor complete a software grant. See:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants

This isn't so much because of the size of the contribution (it's
small) as it has to do with it being an identifiable entity in and of
itself. Thus I'd prefer to see the "paper trail" reflect the donation
explicitly.

--
Martin Cooper