On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 09:15:07AM +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:

Am 20.06.2010 00:19, Kris Maglione wrote:
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:42:15PM +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:
a friend made me write the attached patch. It adds support for EWMH's
_NET_WM_DEMANDS_ATTENTION status by transfering it into ICCCM's urgency hint.

Why not just set c->isurgent rather than actually changing the wmhints? Apart from being needlessly complicated and probably pointless, it's directly contrary to ICCCM ยง4.1.2. The window manager isn't allowed to change client properties.

If I just set c->isurgent here, the next call to updatewmhints() might clear
that flag again (which btw also calls XSetWMHints(). Isn't that wrong, too?).

Of course it will, but it will anyway. When people change _WM_HINTS, they change it wholesale. They don't check whether someone's flipped any bits in the mean time, first.

--
Kris Maglione

Perhaps when a man has special knowledge and special powers like my
own, it rather encourages him to seek a complex explanation when a
simpler one is at hand.
        --"Sherlock Holmes"