I think we should keep the implementation of each tool as minimal as
possible, but POSIX-complete, and of course common tools such as
install(1) and tar(1). However, actually using a system that is
nothing more than POSIX is very cumbersome. And I think it is a better
solution to implement non-standard tools when possible to address
usability issues, e.g. implementing sponge(1) instead of -i for sed(1).

However, if the system isn't actually intended for be used
interactively via the command line, e.g. on embedded devices
or a service running in a container, there is no for non-standard
tools such as sponge(1), and it ought to be easy to select what
you want on your system. I suggest that tools be group into a
few categories (unless they are organised into separate directories
I see no reason one tool couldn't be in multiple categories).

These categories could for example:
        - "posix" for all POSIX tools,
        - "lsb" for all LSB tools
        - "users" for account management
        - "extra" for other common tools
        - "common" for "posix", "lsb", "users", and "extra"
        - "interative" for tools that only make since of when
          a lot via the terminal
        - "all" for every implemented tool

Maybe these should also be subdivided into "portable" and "linux".

The user could then specify the tools to include either by
setting BIN when running make(1) or by saying "yes" or "no" to
each category (of course each category would have a default
option), e.g. POSIX=yes INTERACTIVE=no.

Best regards,
Mattias Andrée