Hi Colm,
thanks for looking at the docs.

Please note that documents built by buildbot are published at

https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/2_1_X/

when built from branch 2_1_X

and at

https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/master/

when built from master.

The docs published at

https://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/

are instead manually built from the latest tag, as part of the release process.

At present, when a change to docs is pushed, buildbot can be triggered manually
via IRC on the #syncope channel via

syncope-bot: force build syncope-master-docs

or

syncope-bot: force build syncope-2_1_X-docs

buildbot will run anyway once a day on all configured jobs.

See my replies below.

Hi,

There are a few things I noticed relating to the docs that could be clarified:

1. The docs
(https://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/getting-started.html#moving-forward)
state that the "secretKey" value is only needed if
adminPasswordAlgorithm or password.cipher.algorithm is "AES", implying
that it could be left blank if you are not using AES. However, I see
CipherAlgorithm.AES in the source code in several places (e.g.
./core/idrepo/logic/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/core/logic/AccessTokenLogic.java),
which implies that secretKey should always be required. Which is
correct?

That's correct, docs need to be adjusted.

2. I think we need to give clearer guidance about how to change
secretKey. How should a user generate a random 256 bit AES key, and
then encode it for this parameter? (e.g. possibly using openssl
-rand).

secretKey is a random string, whose value is bootstrapped during Maven project
generation from archetype, and filtered by Maven into security.properties

If the provided value is less than 16 characters length, it gets padded before
usage at

https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/master/core/spring/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/core/spring/security/Encryptor.java#L151-L161

3. Both docs give minimal information on what "anonymousKey" is used
for. What is it used for and how should a user generate a new value
for it?

anonymousKey is a random string, whose value is bootstrapped during Maven
project generation from archetype, and filtered by Maven into
security.properties

Together with anonynousUser (whose value is 'anonymous' by default), it is used
for non security-sensitive REST calls, as an alternative to leaving some
endpoints accessible without any authentication.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/