If you're looking to reduce complexity - one idea would be to check if
the redundant fields are actually needed, because that's the actual
source of the problem.

I can only think of performance benefits - storing the contentLength
as an int may be a good way to avoid conversion to and from String -
but the headers are stored as MessageBytes, and that supports storing
the int value. If the redundant values are used to avoid looking up
the header - storing the MessageBytes value could solve this.

If you decide to fix it at the higher layer - maybe you can also
deprecate the method containsHeader in Response or put a big javadoc
saying that it's not very accurate.

Costin