The most important question IMO is 'who is going to maintain it'. For
example - AFAIK
 we are the main users and maintainer of modeler, so IMO it would make
sense to move
it back into tomcat source tree.

If EL has a lot of indepenent developers who are not interested in the
rest of tomcat ( so
it doesn't make sense to add them to tomcat project ) - then yes, +1
on splitting it
to a separate sub-project or jakarta-commons.

Until this happens - I think it should be in the same source tree with
everything else.

The fact that it has it's own specification or deps is not an issue -
each component
of tomcat has it's own evolution and might be released independently
or with the bundle.
We made this argument for connector, jasper, container, etc - I don't think it
helped in any way to have each of them as a separate module, and I
don't think it helped
anyone to have modeler in jakarta-commons.

Again - we can release any package we want, and we should start doing that.

Right now we release few packaging variations of jakarta-tomcat - IMO
we should start
releasing things like 'el', modeler, maybe standalone jasper compiler,
maybe standalone connector, cluster module, etc.

Costin