On 3/7/06, Remy Maucherat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Tomcat 3.0 didn't have bad performance because design decisons, but
> > because poor implementation.
> > IMO 3.3 was reasonably good as performance - even for JSP. Not sure if
> > 4.0 was so much faster at that time.
> > It's possible our memory is affected by our opinions - but I'm pretty
> > sure that lower footprint in 3.3 had a good impact on general
> > performance, not a bad one.
>
> If you ever use external strings/files or similar, performance is going
> to be really bad. Most likely this was not enabled in your testing.

I believe I did some tests at that time and didn't seem so bad.
It's not like it's going to read the strings/files on each request -
it's loading them
once, and will stay in memory for all the 'hot' jsps. The difference between a
static final String access and a loaded String is not that big, and
for GC - it'll
get to the old generation quite soon.

Do you have any test - or technical reason - why it would be 'really bad' ?
I'm very interested - it's allways good to learn new things about GC...
In any case - my thinking at that time was that this should be the
default mode for 3.3 if it matures. Not sure what was the exact
benchmark I used - but I was quite obsessed with performance.

> >> Sorry, but I have a perfectly valid reason to give a -1. It's very
> >> simple from my perspective anyway: I will make sure I will not be using
> >> patches such as this one, and so I will maintain my own Jasper branch
> >> (as I am doing for the rest of the container).
> >
> > It is indeed a valid -1 on your own tree :-)
>
> Yes, but then I think I will do what the Sun folks are doing: I'll
> forget contributing back the useful stuff, and only come back with
> annoyances.

Well, that would probably be bad for tomcat - and longer term bad for
your own tree :-)
There are a lot of valid reasons to contribute - or not contribute -
to a project.

Costin