> Mark,
>
> On 10/8/16 3:35 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> On 10/6/16 4:33 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.6 release is now available for voting.
>>>
>>> The major changes compared to the 8.5.5 release are:
>>>
>>> - Refactoring the non-container thread Async complete()/dispatch()
>>>   handling to remove the possibility of deadlock
>>>
>>> - Update the packaged version of the Tomcat Native Library to
>>>   1.2.10 to pick up the latest Windows binaries built with
>>>   OpenSSL 1.0.2j
>>>
>>> - Improved UTF-8 handling for the RewriteValve
>>
>> Plus support for the war: UTL protocol, right?

Right. However, that really only affects users running with packed WARs
under a SecurityManager. Each of those use cases is only used by a small
minority of users. The proportion of users that use both is likely to be
very small indeed. Therefore, I didn't think it merited a mention under
major changes.

> Actually, should we try to suggest support for this "protocol" be added
> to the JRE?

Hmm. That could get interesting because a similar argument could be made
for ear files. You could end up with "jar:war:ear:file:...".

Allowing nesting of JARs (i.e. "jar:jar:...") is probably the best
'generic' solution here.

A quick search later...

I suggest starting a new thread, cc Rory so he sees it and ask whether
the decision to not fix could be revisited.