Hi,

I think the problem is that how we target tomcat 8.5 to the users.
Is it a biased to 8.0, or is it biased to 9.0?

For the former case, we should keep the backward compatibility as much
as possible.
For the latter case, breaking things should be assumable by end users.

IMO, 8.5 should be the former case. However, I don't think most of the
user will be affected by this change.
Therefore the priority should be MINOR or even TRIVIAL.

Overall, I am +0 to add an option to restore the reason phase in 8.5(
a warning message should be logged if this option is turned on), and
drop the option in 9.x.

Anyway, we should note this change in 8.5 migration guide [1].

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Best Regards!