On 02/06/2017 10:23, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> Hi Mark,

<snip/>

>> I'm leaning towards thinking this is an application bug.
>>
>> If the application has two non-container threads, A and B, then, as per
>> section 2.3.3.4 of the Servlet spec, the application is responsible for
>> accessing the request from those threads in a thread-safe manner.
>
> Yep I agree with the above, but in this scenario we have one non-container
> thread A
> and the other thread B is actually a container thread that tries to send a
> notification for an error.
>
> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.asyncDispatch Exception while
> processing an asynchronous request
>  java.lang.IllegalStateException: Calling [asyncError()] is not valid for a
> request with Async state [DISPATCHING]
> at org.apache.coyote.AsyncStateMachine.asyncError(
> AsyncStateMachine.java:398)
> at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessor.action(AbstractProcessor.java:393)
> at org.apache.coyote.Request.action(Request.java:390)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.AsyncContextImpl.setErrorState(
> AsyncContextImpl.java:385)
> at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.asyncDispatch(
> CoyoteAdapter.java:175)
> at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessor.dispatch(AbstractProcessor.java:225)
> at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(
> AbstractProcessorLight.java:53)
>
> What do you think?

I think I still need more clarity on what is going on. Going back to
your original e-mail, the problems start when:

- At some point thread A makes dispatch() -> Async state is changed
  to DISPATCHING
- At the same time a socket error occurs

The application triggers the dispatch - on its own that is OK. What
triggers the socket error? That means something is performing a read or
write. What triggers that read or write?