Hello Mark,

On Mon 18 Dec 2023 at 05:00pm GMT, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Am I understanding this request correctly?
>
> Freexian has sold at least one customer - probably multiple
> customers - long term support for Tomcat 8.0.x and has now found that
> it is unable to provide that support.
>
> Feexian's solution to this dilemma is to ask the Tomcat community -
> who stopped supporting Tomcat 8.0.x over five years ago in June 2018 -
> to provide free support to fill this gap in Freexian's capability to
> support Tomcat.
>
> There are several things that don't seem right about the above so I am
> looking forward to you correcting my understanding of the
> circumstances of this request.

I'd like to apologise for making a request that you felt was ill-placed.
It was not our intent to abuse this forum.  I am new to this work, and I
didn't reflect adequately on how I was interacting with you not merely
as an ordinary volunteer Free Software developer, which is what I'm used
to.

In fact, Freexian is keen to offer to contract with upstream developers
when external expertise is required.  We should have mentioned that
possibility in our first contact.  I resolved the issue I posted about
after sleeping on it, but perhaps on some other occasion we'll have an
opportunity to work together.

Should we (Freexian) find ourselves at some future point in need of
assistance of a similar nature, is there a better way to find upstream
developers that can help and do contracting work than posting to this
list?

My apologies again, and also for following up only almost a month later.
This thread was delivered to a mail folder into which I did not expect
it would go.

--
Sean Whitton