Mark,

On 2/27/24 06:20, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 27/02/2024 10:57, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:12 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

All,

When I look at the current change logs there isn't much there to justify
a March release. There are a couple of open bugs of which one looks
likely that there is an actual issue to be fixed.

That said, I'm unlikely to be in a position to tag 11.0.x until w/c 11
March. The change log may look different at that point.

It is probably too early to make a decision but I wanted to float the
possibility of skipping the March release. That would mean we'd probably
need to make the final 8.5.x release in April.

We don't need to always release all branches every time.

Good point.

For example, 11 already has two useful fixes right now: support for
Java 17 (one could want to verify it), then the FFM fix I made (using
the wrong loader in one location means it simply breaks depending on
how OpenSSL is loaded, so that's bad). But these two are not in the
other branches.

Ack. Those are good reasons for an 11.0.x release.

I just checked the dependencies - there are no updates at the moment.

As for a final 8.5, I would say it is not mandatory if there's nothing
useful in the changelog by the end of March. There's always going to
be a final final fix needed anyway. I started skipping some backports
to 8.5 since "regressions, who knows".

I was just thinking .100 was a nice point release to end on ;)

Yeah, me too ;)

I think we should release 8.5.100 in March, if only to meet our own goal of "ending support at the end of March". There isn't likely to be anything so important that it needs to be added after that.

We made a few exceptions for Tomcats 6, 7, and 8.0 for security issues, but I think there's no reason not to release 8.5.100 during March. I don't mind waiting until later in the month just in case anything comes up. Plus we can always change our minds and release again if there is something vital.

-chris