Hi Chris,

Le mer. 27 mars 2024 à 13:13, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> a écrit :

> Romain,

> > Le mer. 27 mars 2024 à 10:58, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> a écrit :

> >> which

> >> 10.0
> if
> >> the

> >> Nothing. The Tomcat developers (= the committers) determined that the
> >> EE 9 release was useless since the only change is the javax -> jakarta
> >> package renaming. A big task for sure, but that seemed to us this was
> >> more a developer oriented armaggeddon and not something that benefits
> >> our users.
> >>
> >> For reasons that elude my understanding, some other projects like
> >> TomEE thought this was still useful and decided to release full
> >> support for EE 9 rather than go to EE 10 like we did. Our plan about
> >> EE was public. So I guess this is still our problem obviously, but I
> >> don't feel like doing anything about it.
> >>

> >  From what I saw on other AsfEE projects, users requested it, nothing
> more
> > and then you have CVE game.
> >

> >> BTW, about the last item. Recently, I tried to run CXF on the new EE
> >> 10 APIs (since OWB moved to that). It doesn't work as it uses
> >> deprecated APIs, while IMO it should have moved away from them long
> >> ago. And it's an ASF project, not some hack project somewhere.
> >>

> > This is fixed AFAIK on master (maybe last release, didnt check) so should
> > be fine soon.
> >

> >> Basically unless there's a cut somewhere, nothing will ever change :D
> >> As a result, I don't think an API restoration in Tomcat 10.1 is a good
> >> idea ...
> >>

> > Ok, so last option is TomEE community taking the lead on 10.0 branch, is
> > that an option if all the PR work is done?
>
> Is the problem that you have customers actually using these APIs?
>
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/servletapi/deprecated-list.html
>
> Or is the problem that you can't pass a TCK unless you have support for
> these ancient methods?

A bit both, have to admit I lost a bit track of original user request and
if they adopted it or not but TCK point is important and justifies today a
complete tomcat fork which is quite not understandable for me from an ASF
standpoint.

> Most of that stuff was deprecated ages ago and just finally removed.
>
> Why is it super important for you to get certified for Servlet 5
> specifically? Why not just get Jakarta EE 10 certified and move on? Any
> applications that would actually fail on Tomcat 10.1 + Migration Tool
> really really _really_ need to be updated to work properly. People have
> had 15 years to stop using that stuff.

This is the plan, but for the same reason you don't want to release 10.0,
certification is not a one week fork, tomee 10m1 is planned but in the
meantime having tomee 9 (servlet 5) certified would be very welcomed.
That said should I read it as you are proposing yourself to help? (trying
;)).

> Honestly, I think it would be much more worth you while to fork Tomcat
> 10.1 and add-back the methods you need rather than trying to resurrect
> the 10.0 branch. There have been no commits on that branch for 2 years,
> and we've had something like ~24 releases of each other branch in the
> meantime. That includes performance improvements, security fixes,
> feature and stability improvements, etc.
>
> Would it be as simple as providing your own replacements for deprecated
> classes/methods to pass the TCK? That seems far less onerous than
> bringing back zombie Tomcat 10.0.

Asked this morning the same question but it is still being investigated if
possible but still means forking at some point so gain is not really huge
for the project - can be for end users, agree.