On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:14 PM, jean-frederic clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 06/16/2010 07:08 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
> > On 06/16/2010 12:34 AM, Costin Manolache wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There are some methods in SSLContext to create and use a new BIO. Are
> >> there
> >> any examples/tests for this ? I can't find how to attach the BIO to a
> >> socket, it seems SSL_set_bio is never called, can't figure what
> >> SSLContext.setBIO() does.
> >>

> > I'd suggest you forget about those ;)
> >
> > SSL BIO allows to write a java code that will SSL use
> > for read/write to the sockets.
> > Jean-Frederic created those but cannot tell for what reason.
>
> The idea was to use java socket directly to have just the crypto layer
> done by SSL but tc-native went another way.

I know - it allows one to use OpenSSL like SSLEngine - without doing the
network
IO trough OpenSSL.

I'm not worried about the 4-5 extra JNI calls - we're talking about slow
encryption here.

For tomcat-lite - JSSE is a dead end, there is no way to support SPDY and a
lot of other
things are bad/missing ( i.e. most SSL extensions - hostname, session
tickets, etc ).
However I want to separate the I/O from the encryption.

> > Probably to allow direct java.sockets via SSL by writing
> > custom wrapper for SSL Bio (really cannot figure out
> > why would one wish to go trough 4 JNI callback layers for
> > making a write, but it's there).
> > Like you said it wasn't tested, and I was trying to
> > axe this stuff from version 0.1, but it still hangs there.
> >
> > Why would you need that?
>
> If not needed we should remove it.

Well, I think it would be needed - if it would work.
Tomcat-native can be used for more than the tomcat connector - especially
since it's now
easy to install on linux ( apt-get install :-).

I would guess adding just the SSL_set_bio() would be enough - assuming the
rest of the
BIO impl is ok.

Do you have any test code you used when implementing this ?  I think adding
the missing pieces
may be better than trowing it away.

Costin