The major refactorings planned for 8.0.x are complete. There are a few
minor refactorings that can either done before the first stable release
or (if they turn out to be a little bigger) left until 9.0.x.

Therefore I have the following tentative plan in mind:
- start the next 8.0.x RC release process shortly
- release the next 8.0.x RC early next week
- allow a week or so for further testing
- wait to see if anything is badly broken
- fix what is broken
- if nothing is too badly broken, release 8.0.0-alpha

If everything thing goes to plan, we should have a 8.0.0-alpha by early
December.