Hi Bernd, *,

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Bernd Eilers <bernd.eil...@sun.com> wrote:

> I seem to have some problems understanding what you want!

I'll try to explain in more detail...

> If you would do such a 'remote pull' for a new milestone on the remote cws
> hg repository wouldn´t you than need to pull these changes done on that
> remote cws hg repository into your local hg repository afterwards

Well, no as no "changes" were done on that remote repository. I can
just as well pull from my local up-to-date pristine DEV300 clone.
And even if I could not do that and would have to pull the new
milestone as well, the my downstream is much,much faster than my
upload capacity.

> before you
> can than push your own changes in order to resolve merge conflicts and to
> not create two mercurial heads

I create a cws this will create a remote clone, I create a clone from
that (or clone from my local DEV300 clone) and make changes to that
local copy.
I push those changes to the remote cws clone.
<iterate, time goes by>
In the meantime, new masters have been created, I need to rebase. So I
pull that new master into my local cws clone. Merge resolving, etc,
commit locally.

Now is where the pain starts.

Currently, I have to push everything to the remote cws clone. Not just
my own changes, but everything that changed between the milestone the
cws was based on and the new desired milestone. With ADSL (and thus
slow upload) this is a pain, if it is done in half an hour you're a
lucky one.

When however, I could initiate that same pull  to the remote cws
clone, I would only have to push the changes needed for the actual
merge.
So yes, initially there would be two heads, that are resolved after
the merge commits are pushed.

> on the remote hg repository and wouldn´t that
> mean that in fact nothing is gained at all?

I hope it is more clear now.

ciao
Christian
PS: I also don't clone the a cws, I pull it into a local clone, that
results in an additional head, but I can just update to that and
forget about heads from that point. But that way I don't have to
download ~ 1GB of data, but just the actual changes. The same thing in
the other direction is what I want.