Hi,

I did some work on the gzip.c example plugin:
-made it working again (current code failes on asserts from
TSMimeHdrFieldValueStringGet),
-made it compress  using the same deflateinit2 call as mod_gzip, for better
browser compatibility (ie issues).

Regards,

Otto van der Schaaf

/** @file

  Transforms content using gzip

  @section license License

  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
  or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
  distributed with this work for additional information
  regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
  to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
  "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
  with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
 */

#include <limits.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/file.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <zlib.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <ts/ts.h>

#define DICT_PATH_MAX 512
#define DICT_ENTRY_MAX 2048

typedef struct
{
  TSHttpTxn txn;
  TSVIO output_vio;
  TSIOBuffer output_buffer;
  TSIOBufferReader output_reader;
  int output_length;
  z_stream zstrm;
  uLong crc;
  int state;
} GzipData;

char preload_file[1024];
uLong dictId;
int preload = 0;
char dictionary[800000];

void
load_dictionary(char *dict, uLong * adler)
{
  FILE *fp;
  int i = 0;

  fp = fopen(preload_file, "r");
  if (!fp) {
    TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: Unable to open dict file %s\n",
preload_file);
    exit(0);
  }

  /* dict = (char *) calloc(8000,sizeof(char)); */

  i = 0;
  while (!feof(fp)) {
    if (fscanf(fp, "%s\n", dict + i) == 1) {
      i = strlen(dict);
      strcat(dict + i, " ");
      i++;
    }
  }
  dict[i - 1] = '\0';

  /* TODO get the adler compute right */
  *adler = adler32(*adler, (const Byte *) dict, sizeof(dict));
}

static voidpf
gzip_alloc(voidpf opaque, uInt items, uInt size)
{
  return (voidpf) TSmalloc(items * size);
}

static void
gzip_free(voidpf opaque, voidpf address)
{
  TSfree(address);
}

static GzipData *
gzip_data_alloc()
{
  GzipData *data;
  int err;

  data = (GzipData *) TSmalloc(sizeof(GzipData));
  data->output_vio = NULL;
  data->output_buffer = NULL;
  data->output_reader = NULL;
  data->output_length = 0;
  data->state = 0;
  data->crc = crc32(0L, Z_NULL, 0);

  data->zstrm.next_in = Z_NULL;
  data->zstrm.avail_in = 0;
  data->zstrm.total_in = 0;
  data->zstrm.next_out = Z_NULL;
  data->zstrm.avail_out = 0;
  data->zstrm.total_out = 0;
  data->zstrm.zalloc = gzip_alloc;
  data->zstrm.zfree = gzip_free;
  data->zstrm.opaque = (voidpf) 0;
  data->zstrm.data_type = Z_ASCII;

/*
   rc =
    deflateInit2(
    &zlib_ctx->strm,
    compression_level,
    Z_DEFLATED,
    MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_WINDOWSIZE,
    MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_CFACTOR,
    Z_DEFAULT_STRATEGY
    );
*/

//os: from mod_gzip
#define MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_WINDOWSIZE -15
#define MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_CFACTOR    9
#define MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_BSIZE      8096

/* ZLIB's deflate() compression algorithm uses the same */
/* 0-9 based scale that GZIP does where '1' is 'Best speed' */
/* and '9' is 'Best compression'. Testing has proved level '6' */
/* to be about the best level to use in an HTTP Server. */

#define MOD_GZIP_DEFLATE_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION_LEVEL 6

  err = deflateInit2(
&data->zstrm,
MOD_GZIP_DEFLATE_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION_LEVEL,
Z_DEFLATED,
MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_WINDOWSIZE,
MOD_GZIP_ZLIB_CFACTOR,
Z_DEFAULT_STRATEGY);

  if (err != Z_OK) {
    TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: deflateInit (%d)!", err);
    exit(1);
  }

  if (preload) {
    assert(&data->zstrm);
    err = deflateSetDictionary(&data->zstrm, (const Bytef *) dictionary,
strlen(dictionary));
    if (err != Z_OK) {
      TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: deflateSetDictionary (%d)!", err);
    }
  }

  return data;
}

static void
gzip_data_destroy(GzipData * data)
{
  int err;

  if (data) {
    err = deflateEnd(&data->zstrm);
    if (err != Z_OK) {
      TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: deflateEnd (%d)!", err);
    }

    if (data->output_buffer)
      TSIOBufferDestroy(data->output_buffer);
    TSfree(data);
  }
}

static void
gzip_transform_init(TSCont contp, GzipData * data)
{
  TSVConn output_conn;
  TSMBuffer bufp;
  TSMLoc hdr_loc;
  TSMLoc ce_loc;               /* for the content encoding mime field */

  data->state = 1;

  /*
   * Mark the output data as having gzip content encoding
   */
  TSHttpTxnTransformRespGet(data->txn, &bufp, &hdr_loc);
  TSMimeHdrFieldCreate(bufp, hdr_loc, &ce_loc); /* Probably should check for
errors */
  TSMimeHdrFieldNameSet(bufp, hdr_loc, ce_loc, "Content-Encoding", -1);
  TSMimeHdrFieldValueStringInsert(bufp, hdr_loc, ce_loc, -1, "deflate", -1);
  TSMimeHdrFieldAppend(bufp, hdr_loc, ce_loc);
  TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, ce_loc);
  TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);

  /* Get the output connection where we'll write data to. */
  output_conn = TSTransformOutputVConnGet(contp);

  data->output_buffer = TSIOBufferCreate();
  data->output_reader = TSIOBufferReaderAlloc(data->output_buffer);
  data->output_vio = TSVConnWrite(output_conn, contp, data->output_reader,
INT64_MAX);
}

static void
gzip_transform_one(GzipData * data, TSIOBufferReader input_reader, int
amount)
{
  TSIOBufferBlock blkp;
  const char *ibuf;
  char *obuf;
  int64_t ilength, olength;
  int err;

  while (amount > 0) {
    blkp = TSIOBufferReaderStart(input_reader);
    ibuf = TSIOBufferBlockReadStart(blkp, input_reader, &ilength);

    if (ilength > amount) {
      ilength = amount;
    }

    data->zstrm.next_in = (unsigned char *) ibuf;
    data->zstrm.avail_in = ilength;

    while (data->zstrm.avail_in > 0) {
      blkp = TSIOBufferStart(data->output_buffer);

      obuf = TSIOBufferBlockWriteStart(blkp, &olength);

      data->zstrm.next_out = (unsigned char *) obuf;
      data->zstrm.avail_out = olength;

      /* Encode */
      err = deflate(&data->zstrm, Z_NO_FLUSH);

      if (olength > data->zstrm.avail_out) {
        TSIOBufferProduce(data->output_buffer, olength -
data->zstrm.avail_out);
        data->output_length += (olength - data->zstrm.avail_out);
      }

      if (data->zstrm.avail_out > 0) {
        if (data->zstrm.avail_in != 0) {
          TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: avail_in is (%d): should be 0",
data->zstrm.avail_in);
        }
      }
    }

    /* compute CRC for error checking at client */
    data->crc = crc32(data->crc, (unsigned char *) ibuf, ilength);

    TSIOBufferReaderConsume(input_reader, ilength);
    amount -= ilength;
  }
}

static void
gzip_transform_finish(GzipData * data)
{
  if (data->state == 1) {
    TSIOBufferBlock blkp;
    char *obuf;
    int64_t olength;
    int err;

    data->state = 2;

    for (;;) {
      blkp = TSIOBufferStart(data->output_buffer);

      obuf = TSIOBufferBlockWriteStart(blkp, &olength);
      data->zstrm.next_out = (unsigned char *) obuf;
      data->zstrm.avail_out = olength;

      /* Encode remaining data */
      err = deflate(&data->zstrm, Z_FINISH);

      if (olength > data->zstrm.avail_out) {
        TSIOBufferProduce(data->output_buffer, olength -
data->zstrm.avail_out);
        data->output_length += (olength - data->zstrm.avail_out);
      }

      if (err == Z_OK) {        /* some more data to encode */
        continue;
      }
      /* done! */
      if (err != Z_STREAM_END) {
        TSDebug("gzip-transform", "deflate should report Z_STREAM_END\n");
      }
      break;
    }

    if (data->output_length != (data->zstrm.total_out)) {
      TSError("gzip-transform: ERROR: output lengths don't match (%d, %ld)",
data->output_length,
               data->zstrm.total_out);
    }

    /* compute/append crc to end of stream */

    /*
       blkp = TSIOBufferStart (data->output_buffer);
       char crcbuf[8];
       char* buf=crcbuf;
       uLong tmp = data->crc;
       buf[0] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[1] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[2] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[3] = tmp & 0xff;

       tmp = data->zstrm.total_in;
       buf[4] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[5] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[6] = tmp & 0xff; tmp >>= 8;
       buf[7] = tmp & 0xff;

       char*p = buf;
       int length;
       length = 8;

       while (length > 0) {
       obuf = TSIOBufferBlockWriteStart (blkp, &olength);
       if (olength > length) {
       olength = length;
       }

       memcpy (obuf, p, olength);
       p += olength;
       length -= olength;

       TSIOBufferProduce (data->output_buffer, olength);
       }

       data->output_length += 8;*/

  }
}

static void
gzip_transform_do(TSCont contp)
{
  TSVIO write_vio;
  GzipData *data;
  int towrite;
  int avail;
  int length;

  /* Get our data structure for this operation. The private data
     structure contains the output vio and output buffer. If the
     private data structure pointer is NULL, then we'll create it
     and initialize its internals. */
  data = TSContDataGet(contp);
  if (data->state == 0) {
    gzip_transform_init(contp, data);
  }

  /* Get the write vio for the write operation that was performed on
     ourself. This vio contains the buffer that we are to read from
     as well as the continuation we are to call when the buffer is
     empty. */
  write_vio = TSVConnWriteVIOGet(contp);

  length = data->output_length;

  /* We also check to see if the write vio's buffer is non-NULL. A
     NULL buffer indicates that the write operation has been
     shutdown and that the continuation does not want us to send any
     more WRITE_READY or WRITE_COMPLETE events. For this simplistic
     transformation that means we're done. In a more complex
     transformation we might have to finish writing the transformed
     data to our output connection. */
  if (!TSVIOBufferGet(write_vio)) {
    gzip_transform_finish(data);

    TSVIONBytesSet(data->output_vio, data->output_length);
    TSDebug("gzip-transform", "Compressed size %d (bytes)",
data->output_length);

    if (data->output_length > length) {
      TSVIOReenable(data->output_vio);
    }
    return;
  }

  /* Determine how much data we have left to read. For this gzip
     transform plugin this is also the amount of data we have left
     to write to the output connection. */
  towrite = TSVIONTodoGet(write_vio);
  if (towrite > 0) {
    /* The amount of data left to read needs to be truncated by
       the amount of data actually in the read buffer. */
    avail = TSIOBufferReaderAvail(TSVIOReaderGet(write_vio));
    if (towrite > avail) {
      towrite = avail;
    }

    if (towrite > 0) {
      gzip_transform_one(data, TSVIOReaderGet(write_vio), towrite);

      /* Modify the write vio to reflect how much data we've
         completed. */
      TSVIONDoneSet(write_vio, TSVIONDoneGet(write_vio) + towrite);
    }
  }

  /* Now we check the write vio to see if there is data left to
     read. */
  if (TSVIONTodoGet(write_vio) > 0) {
    if (towrite > 0) {
      /* If we output some data then we reenable the output
         connection by reenabling the output vio. This will wakeup
         the output connection and allow it to consume data from the
         output buffer. */
      if (data->output_length > length) {
        TSVIOReenable(data->output_vio);
      }

      /* Call back the write vio continuation to let it know that we
         are ready for more data. */
      TSContCall(TSVIOContGet(write_vio), TS_EVENT_VCONN_WRITE_READY,
write_vio);
    }
  } else {
    /* If there is no data left to read, then we modify the output
       vio to reflect how much data the output connection should
       expect. This allows the output connection to know when it
       is done reading. We then reenable the output connection so
       that it can consume the data we just gave it. */
    gzip_transform_finish(data);

    TSVIONBytesSet(data->output_vio, data->output_length);
    TSDebug("gzip-transform", "Compressed size %d (bytes)",
data->output_length);

    if (data->output_length > length) {
      TSVIOReenable(data->output_vio);
    }

    /* Call back the write vio continuation to let it know that we
       have completed the write operation. */
    TSContCall(TSVIOContGet(write_vio), TS_EVENT_VCONN_WRITE_COMPLETE,
write_vio);
  }
}

static int
gzip_transform(TSCont contp, TSEvent event, void *edata)
{
  /* Check to see if the transformation has been closed by a call to
     TSVConnClose. */
  if (TSVConnClosedGet(contp)) {
    gzip_data_destroy(TSContDataGet(contp));
    TSContDestroy(contp);
    return 0;
  } else {
    switch (event) {
    case TS_EVENT_ERROR:
      {
        TSVIO write_vio;

        /* Get the write vio for the write operation that was
           performed on ourself. This vio contains the continuation of
           our parent transformation. */
        write_vio = TSVConnWriteVIOGet(contp);

        /* Call back the write vio continuation to let it know that we
           have completed the write operation. */
        TSContCall(TSVIOContGet(write_vio), TS_EVENT_ERROR, write_vio);
      }
      break;
    case TS_EVENT_VCONN_WRITE_COMPLETE:
      /* When our output connection says that it has finished
         reading all the data we've written to it then we should
         shutdown the write portion of its connection to
         indicate that we don't want to hear about it anymore. */
      TSVConnShutdown(TSTransformOutputVConnGet(contp), 0, 1);
      break;
    case TS_EVENT_VCONN_WRITE_READY:
    default:
      /* If we get a WRITE_READY event or any other type of
         event (sent, perhaps, because we were reenabled) then
         we'll attempt to transform more data. */
      gzip_transform_do(contp);
      break;
    }
  }

  return 0;
}

static int gzip_transformable(TSHttpTxn txnp, int server)
{
  /* Server response header */
  TSMBuffer bufp;
  TSMLoc hdr_loc;
  TSMLoc field_loc;

  /* Client request header */
  TSMBuffer cbuf;
  TSMLoc chdr;
  TSMLoc cfield;

  const char *value;
  int nvalues;
  int i, deflate_flag;

  TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 1");

  TSHttpTxnClientReqGet(txnp, &cbuf, &chdr);

  /* check if client accepts "deflate" */
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 2");

  cfield = TSMimeHdrFieldFind(cbuf, chdr, TS_MIME_FIELD_ACCEPT_ENCODING,
-1);

 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 3");

  if (TS_NULL_MLOC != cfield) {
    nvalues = TSMimeHdrFieldValuesCount(cbuf, chdr, cfield);
TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 4:
nvalues:%d,chdr:%d,cfield:%d",nvalues,chdr,cfield);
    int len;

    value = TSMimeHdrFieldValueStringGet(cbuf, chdr, cfield, 0, &len);
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 5:%d",len);
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ test->%s",value);
    deflate_flag = 0;
    i = 0;
    while (nvalues > 0) {
      if (value && (strncasecmp(value, "deflate", sizeof("deflate") - 1) ==
0)) {
        deflate_flag = 1;
        break;
      }
      i++;
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 6.1");

      value = TSMimeHdrFieldValueStringGet(cbuf, chdr, cfield, i, &len);
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 6.2");

      nvalues--;
    }
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 7");

    if (!deflate_flag) {
      return -7;
    }
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 8");

    TSHandleMLocRelease(cbuf, chdr, cfield);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(cbuf, TS_NULL_MLOC, chdr);
  } else {
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 345");

    TSHandleMLocRelease(cbuf, chdr, cfield);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(cbuf, TS_NULL_MLOC, chdr);
    return -6;
  }

 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 10");

  if (server) {
    TSHttpTxnServerRespGet(txnp, &bufp, &hdr_loc);
  } else {
    TSHttpTxnCachedRespGet(txnp, &bufp, &hdr_loc);
  }
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 11");

  /* If there already exists a content encoding then we don't want
     to do anything. */
  field_loc = TSMimeHdrFieldFind(bufp, hdr_loc,
TS_MIME_FIELD_CONTENT_ENCODING, -1);
  if (field_loc) {
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);
    return -3;
  }
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 12");

  TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc);

 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 13");

  /* We only want to do gzip compression on documents that have a
     content type of "text/" or "application/x-javascript". */

  field_loc = TSMimeHdrFieldFind(bufp, hdr_loc, TS_MIME_FIELD_CONTENT_TYPE,
-1);
  if (!field_loc) {
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);
    return -4;
  }
 TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ chk transformable 14");
  int len;
  value = TSMimeHdrFieldValueStringGet(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc, 0, &len);
  if (value && (strncasecmp(value, "text/", sizeof("text/") - 1) == 0)) {
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);
    TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ transformable, it is text/*");

    return 0;
  } else if (value && (strncasecmp(value, "application/x-javascript",
(sizeof("application/x-javascript") - 1)) == 0)) {
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);
    TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ transformable, it is
application/x-javascript");
    return 0;
  } else {
    TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ not a transformable content type");
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, hdr_loc, field_loc);
    TSHandleMLocRelease(bufp, TS_NULL_MLOC, hdr_loc);
    return -5;
  }
}

static void gzip_transform_add(TSHttpTxn txnp, int server)
{
  TSVConn connp;
  GzipData *data;
  TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ zip_transform_add()");
  connp = TSTransformCreate(gzip_transform, txnp);

  data = gzip_data_alloc();
  data->txn = txnp;
  TSContDataSet(connp, data);

  TSHttpTxnHookAdd(txnp, TS_HTTP_RESPONSE_TRANSFORM_HOOK, connp);
}

static int
transform_plugin(TSCont contp, TSEvent event, void *edata)
{
  TSHttpTxn txnp = (TSHttpTxn) edata;
  int reason;

  TSDebug("gzip-transform", "@ transform_plugin()");

  switch (event) {
  case TS_EVENT_HTTP_READ_RESPONSE_HDR:
    reason = gzip_transformable(txnp, 1);
    if (reason >= 0) {
      TSDebug("gzip-transform", "server content transformable");
      gzip_transform_add(txnp, 1);
    } else {
      TSDebug("gzip-transform", "server content NOT transformable [%d]",
reason);
    }

    TSHttpTxnReenable(txnp, TS_EVENT_HTTP_CONTINUE);
    break;

  case TS_EVENT_HTTP_READ_CACHE_HDR:

    reason = gzip_transformable(txnp, 0);
    if (reason >= 0) {
      TSDebug("gzip-transform", "cached content transformable");
      gzip_transform_add(txnp, 1);
    } else {
      TSDebug("gzip-transform", "cached data:  forwarding unchanged (%d)",
reason);
    }
    TSHttpTxnReenable(txnp, TS_EVENT_HTTP_CONTINUE);
    break;

  default:
    exit(1);
  }

  return 0;
}

void
TSPluginInit(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
  dictId = adler32(0L, Z_NULL, 0);
  if (argc == 2) {
    strcpy(preload_file, argv[1]);
    preload = 1;
    load_dictionary(dictionary, &dictId);
  }

  TSDebug("gzip-transform", "gzip plugin loads");

  TSHttpHookAdd(TS_HTTP_READ_RESPONSE_HDR_HOOK,
TSContCreate(transform_plugin, NULL));
  TSHttpHookAdd(TS_HTTP_READ_CACHE_HDR_HOOK, TSContCreate(transform_plugin,
NULL));
}