First, general thoughts....

I would like to see our web site reflect our charter in the sense that
the Velocity Engine is always prominent and pre-eminent.  It is a
requirement that the other subprojects be dependent on that "core"
center pole, otherwise the umbrella will become a mere sack.  I'm not
sure how best to represent this on our front page, but i think it is
important that that be the case.  Apart from this emphasis, i
generally agree with Henning's thoughts on the front page.

Regarding "Velocity in a webapp"...

I like having a front page link to this guide.  Like Will, it feels
like there have been fewer simplistic questions on this since we added
that page.   I also think it would be good to have a link right above
or below it that quickly tells how to use Velocity outside a webapp.
The title of this would probably depend on the examples created for
it.  Which, by the way, i'm not sure we have any good, simple,
easy-to-get-started-with, examples of this.  Maybe i'll take a shot at
that before 1.5 goes final...

On 12/18/06, Claude Brisson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Some remarks / suggestions...

Le dimanche 17 décembre 2006 à 14:10 +0100, Henning Schmiedehausen a
écrit :
> > New users need to know
> > --> What the heck is Velocity?
>
> +1. So what is it? Is it a templating engine? A toolbox for a templating
> engine? What is the "Velocity project". I'm struggling with that answer
> myself. ;-)

Apache Velocity is the Velocity template engine and a set of
complementary and closely-tied projects.

Also (more pragmatic... ahum... not purely aesthetic) the "project" (in
the title) vs "projects" (in the menu) - what about changing the title
to sthing like "the Velocity Umbrella" or "the Velocity Connection"?

i think we should generally refer to the Apache Velocity TLP as
"Apache Velocity" and put no further nouns into it.  If we need a
generic noun as a synonym, i'd stick with "project" as that is how the
ASF views us collectively.

> > --> What's the latest version?
>
> +1. Latest Version of what? We already have three sub projects.

What about including validation/compatibility/voting steps for
subprojects, so that a particular version of a subproject is officially
linked with every engine release? Hence, there would be a "Velocity
package" version, the same as the core, and newcomers can avoid dealing
with subproject versions. Advanced users who want to mix versions can
fetch infos on subprojects pages and use subversion.

I think this is a great idea.  Not a high priority, but definitely
something i'd like to work on once we get the TLP move completed and
Velocity Engine 1.5 and VelocityTools 1.3 out the door.

At this point, all VelocityTools releases are compatible with Velocity
Engine 1.3+.  Starting with VelocityTools 2.x, we'll probably require
Velocity Engine 1.5+.   It would be fantastic to have some simple way
of expressing on overview of all these dependencies on our web site,
especially as we bring in other subprojects and push Anakia and Texen
out of the Engine.

  Claude