I agree with that.  Considering the amount of effort involved in the
porting, and specially in the maintenance of that port, I think it would be
(would have been? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_oKve-bH0) easier to
create a shell on top of Wicket to make Scala programmers' lives easier,
rather than rewrite it in Scala.  Not that I don't believe it would be nice
to write Wicket in Scala, but without strong community support it would mean
at best fragmentation in the community...

  There was such a Wicket-Scala thin API bridge that was started about a
year ago, but I never again heard from it...

  One of the cool things about scala is that you could have a model concept
without a model class.  You just need to receive 2 functions, a setter and a
getter (or just a setter for read-only models).  So for instance a ListView
could have a model-less signature like:
  ListView[T](id:String, => Iterable[T])
  or the like.  You can then just use first-class functions to do that:
  add(new ListView("rows", myService.list))

  []s Gus