I understand what you are saying, but I also think you are playing semantic
games here. By "truth", I was referring simply to objectively testable
results (the scientific method), not opening up a philosophical discussion
on the nature of truth. But in any case, there are certainly no objectively
testable results possible in terms of what language is best. I think we can
agree on that. Therefore this argument from Kuhn doesn't really apply very
directly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the whole discipline of
computer software engineering is a gray area, with some of it (actually very
little) being scientific and the majority of it being a difficult-to-teach
art. So at best, I think all Kuhn is saying that's relevant to this
discussion is that people are slow to change. He's hardly the first to note
that. What's more, in non-scientific areas like programming they may
actually have more reasons than entrenchment to avoid a particular change
(which can't be objectively proved no matter what the method). Certainly
this is true for me, as I am aware of the benefits of Scala and actually
WANT a replacement for Java, but I still don't want to choose Scala for the
reasons I outlined and not simply because I don't want to change my way of
doing things. If I was that type of person, would I have created Wicket?
Something that people told me for years would never be useful because it
bucked the common wisdom that you can't have server side state? Could it be
that there are some reasons besides entrenchment that people are not
flooding to Scala?

But regardless of what we both think about Kuhn, your argument is funny to
me because it's an attempt to apply logical reasoning to what purely
artistic choice. Would Kuhn say that his book applies to the choices of
materials by visual artists? I tend to think not, because there would be no
way to test his theory. And anyway, if you're going to go in this direction,
why isn't it also clear that Eiffel, Haskell and Clojure are The Way
forward, as you are suggesting Scala must be? After all, if this is a
discussion about "science" and politics, surely this is objective as well?

Don't you think the choice of languages in software engineering depends not
so much on would-be-objective assessment of technical excellence, but rather
on subjective experience, artistic temperament and perceived applicability
to the problem at hand? For myself, I love a lot of Scala's features and
said as much when I first ran into it, but after some reflection it simply
does not fit my minimalist artistic aesthetic and it has a lot of dangerous
moving parts that I don't want in the hands of co-workers. You can think
what you like, but this reasoning has nothing to do with any "entrenched
political interests" I might have.