The magic is calling setVariable on the ConversionException. Thanks to Igor's
new book <https://www.packtpub.com/apache-wicket-cookbook/book> for teaching
me that. ;)

So in your page's property file you'd have (you had the wrong case on
*IC*onverter
in your last email):
mortgageAmountPrimary.IConverter.Double=You must enter a valid value for
${user}'s mortgage amount field to continue with this application.

Java code:
        form.add(new
TextField<Double>("mortgageAmountPrimary",Double.class){

            @Override
            public IConverter getConverter(Class<?> type)
            {
                return new DoubleConverter(){

                    @Override
                    public Double convertToObject(String value, Locale
locale)
                    {
                        try{
                            return super.convertToObject(value, locale);
                        }catch(ConversionException e){
                           * e.setVariable("user", "Theos");*
                            throw e;
                        }
                    }
                };
            }
        });

I did it all inline so you could see it. But subclassing to make it more
useable, like getting the variable's value via a passed in Model wouldn't
hurt.

-Clint