I agree that with hex values the driver is much harder to read and
debug (as a casual developer).  that's part of the reason the radeon
driver is so well developed and feature-rich.  however, I'd say that
most drivers in xfree86 use hex values rather than symbolic names so
symbolic names are hardly the norm.  the nv driver is no more obscured
than the trident or 3dlabs, etc. drivers.

Alex