Hello,
I am trying to run the XFree86 4.4.0 on Linux 2.4.21 on an embedded MIPS platform.
Having overcome problems with USB keyboard/mouse and mmap() of /dev/mem of PCI space,
etc., I am able to run the X server via the ATI Rage XL card. X clients with no
characters are fine, such as xlogo, xbiff, etc.
Here is the problem, in XTERM, characters displayed are hardly recognizable. But
anything typed in, such as commands, are ok. For example, "echo 1" command is ok, but
the output "1" is distorted. And in XCALC, each character is very clear but the
combination is wrong, e.g. "INV" was displayed as "IVN", "sin" becomes "sni", "log"
becomes "lgo", etc.
Now due to HW platform issue, the big-endian based OS/SW must do byte-swapping to do
PIO access to the PCI space inclusing the ATI card. HW handles the byte-swapping for
the DMA. I programmed the byte-swapping for the ATI card MMIO aperture and the linear
aperture. But the probem persists.
I am new to the Xfree86 and would really appreciate it if you can give me some hint on
what could be wrong.
Thank you very much.
Youlin Feng