Alexander Malysh wrote:

It's a bullshit what SMSC operator say. Ton=1/Npi=1 is international ISDN number planning. That mean that you should be able at least call this number from Landphone. Can you? I know the answer: no. Therefore is's a SMSC bug! SMSC should send with 0/0 (unknown/unknown) or at least 1/2 (isdn/national) or private/private.

yep, Alex is a bite "hurish" here... ;)

But he is right, when we come to hard facts. Actually the SMSC does not send the proper TON value here.

Now the issue is how do we "handle" this? I know that we as Kannel maintainer don't want to support "buggy" interpretations of SMPP, but if our users (Kannel users) don't have a chance to force the SMSC provider to correct things, they will have to patch on there own, and that's also an issue I'd like to avoid, mass individual patching. This brings us away from a generic development stream/branch.

I'll approach Conan from the SMPP forum to have a comment on this.

@all: Adding another config directive, ie. 'relaxed-ton-npi' that "switches off" the logical TON/NPI handling inside the SMPP module is not feasable? Default would be "false", hence we do strict testing, but user's may decide to have a more relaxed version.

But this brings us up again to the point "do we hence support protocol misbehaviours?". The answer SHOULD be no. But it's the same answer for the question "should we allow to much individual patching and hence branch diversification".

Ideas, comments welcome.

Kölner Landstrasse 419
40589 Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany

tolj.org system architecture      Kannel Software Foundation (KSF)
http://www.tolj.org/              http://www.kannel.org/

mailto:st_{at}_tolj.org           mailto:stolj_{at}_kannel.org