Am 02.04.17 21:57, schrieb Davor Spasoski:
Dear kannel users&developers,

Hi Davor,

please don't cross-post into several mailing list, we consider this spaming.

Your questions is more related to internals, so devel@ should be the right place to ask.

Can someone give precise information what happens encoding wise from
smsbox to SMSC. I understand that as of 1.4.1:

Smsbox i expecting utf-8 by default

correct, the sendsms HTTP interface assumes UTF-8 encoding as input, (if not otherwise indicated via the 'coding' and 'charset' HTTP GET variables).

Communication smsbox ßàbearerbox is only via utf-8

IF the message is considered to be textual (coding=0), yes, UTF-8 is the internal encoding.

IF coding=1 is indicated then it's raw byte stream, with no encoding implicated.

IF coding=2 then the internal encoding will leave UCS-2.

Bearerbox ßàSMSC is supposed to be ISO-8859-1

nop, that's latin1. Depending on the SMSC type there are different upstream encodings used as default.

I.e. for SMPP the default encoding (aka data coding scheme, DCS 0x00) is GSM 03.38.

But then we have alt-dcs and alt-addr-charset that are supposed to
enable GSM-7 alphabet between SMSC and bearerbox, but although
documented, they both don’t seem to work from 1.4.2 onwards. There is a
slight difference when I add alt-charset=GSM, but it certainly is not
sending GSM. (I get a lot of question marks until I get to 0x28 character)

The config 'alt-charset' in the SMPP config groups defines which default alphabet the SMSC assumes for it's DCS 0x00 encoding.

Keep in mind that 'alt-charset' relies on the iconv() library, and this does NOT include GSM 03.38, so there is no value for GSM 03.38 encoding that can be defined via 'alt-charset', which is also not required since it is default. Only all other default encodings can be switched to via this config directive.

What if I have specific SMSC that is using GSM-7 or even something more
weird like Escaped ISO-8859-1 that combines ISO and GSM 7-bit.

Is SMSC – bearerbox in UTF-8 possible?

yes, 'alt-charset = UTF-8' would simply send the payload as UTF-8 encoded text. AFAIR, the HTTP SMSC types do this.

--
Best Regards,
Stipe Tolj

Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany

Kannel Foundation                 tolj.org system architecture
http://www.kannel.org/            http://www.tolj.org/

st...@kannel.org                  s...@tolj.org