On Do, 2016-06-02 at 10:07 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 10:02 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> >
> > People aren't agreeing with you. So making it a default seems like a
> > bad
> > idea. People do seem to agree on "obviously broken windoing apps"
> > that
> > are left lingering. Why can't we just let those get killed?
> >

> You are misinformed. This is not about 'obviously broken' windowing
> apps. Applications that have X or wayland connections get killed
> reliably when the session ends, because that connection is going away.

No.

It's sort-of default behavior, a bit simliar to how terminal apps get
zapped by SIGHUP when the terminal closes.  But it isn't enforced at
all, apps can keep running when the X or wayland connection goes away,
either just a short moment (firefox saving open tabs to disk, then exit)
or even longer in case they are running some kind of batch job which
they can finish without user interaction.  Or they keep on trying to
read from the closed connection due to some stupid bug ...

cheers,
  Gerd