On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 16:29:01 -0400, Tom wrote:

>   However, if a subpackage is independent of any base package (it does
>   not require it, either implicitly or explicitly), it must include
>   copies of any license texts (as present in the source) which are
>   applicable to the files contained within the subpackage.

With this we've reached the point once more where the default %doc dir is
a poor choice, because it is based on the subpackage's %{name} instead of
the src.rpm's or base package's %{name}.

For the common tools'n'library split of a package, the changed guidelines
duplicate the license files by storing them in two different directories
when using %doc:

  /usr/share/doc/name-1.0/COPYING
  /usr/share/doc/name-libs-1.0/COPYING